Tuesday, October 1, 2013

In The News : Breast-Feeding Services Lag the Law

"Under the Affordable Care Act, insurance companies are required to pay for breast pumps and counseling for new mothers to address breast-feeding problems. The aim is to encourage more women to breast-feed so their infants can reap the health benefits, including reduced risks of asthma, leukemia and Type 2 diabetes."

I have never had a problem with my insurance, and having a lactation consultant at the hospital where I gave birth. Breast-feeding was always my number one priority for my little Lina<3, and will be for my baby Bunny (my unborn daughter). But I shake my head to this article

"New mothers face a number of obstacles in breast-feeding, including insufficient milk or a painful infection. Problems must be resolved quickly: when a baby is hungry, there is little time to wrangle with an insurer over payment for a breast pump or a lactation consultant. A delay can mean that mothers turn to formula, don’t establish an adequate supply, or quit."

No comments:

Post a Comment